Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dan's search for meaning - in work

An interesting book to read has been Every Good Endeavor by Tim Keller.  In it he explains the Biblical view of the dignity of work.  It's been both a joy and a challenge to reflect on my own work in light of it.  A joy because I see that no matter what I do for work, the work itself becomes infused with holy relevance because 1) it is done as a service to God (obviously) and 2) because it is a service to man, who was made in God's image.  The prayer "Give us this day our daily bread" is answered by God not with manna from heaven, but with a baker.  The baker can truly say that he is a gift from God to humanity.  In light of this, how silly it would be for him to then make his bread poorly? or with negligence so that it burns? or even to be boastful except in Christ who's finished work alone allows God to look on the baker with such love that God  would condescend himself to employ the man in holy occupation?

But I said that it was also a challenge.  It's a challenge because I fear that this revelation has come too late to save my position in the biology lab.  And further, even having received this revelation, would it make a difference were I to return?  Truth seems to penetrate my heart like rainwater penetrates marble.  I have much more to say on this, but it seems like a good time to drop some truth on this subject matter.  The answer weighs more heavily on me than does my desire to record the thoughts that I had on the matter.  My heart truly is hard, and the only remedy for that is the Spirit, and the Spirit is poured out by believing the word of God.  God said that he would GIVE YOU a new heart, and that the Spirit dwells within the believer.

1 Corinthians 3:16

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?

2 Timothy 1:14
By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.

Romans 8:11
If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

Jesus is a life-giving Spirit.  The Holy Spirit morphs us into the image and glory of God as we behold the Gospel.

2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

This transformation comes from the Spirit, who lives within us, and who lived within me during my time of apostacy.  I shut God out, I didn't love him.  I feel even now the tugging of gravity against me to drag me back down into that place.  I almost want to go back.  I feel that it is only the hand of God holding me, almost against my will, above the surface and in his grace.  While I was faithless, he was faithful.  While I was dead, he made me alive.  WHAT KIND OF GOD WOULD ACCEPT SOMEONE UNDER THOSE TERMS!?  What kind of love does God have that he would allow someone with no heart for religion into his house?  slay his holy Son?  adopt me against my will into his family?  to break my heart and mold it so that it, at all cost to Himself, would truly be thankful for the gift of life... and love and affection.

So the answer, dear reader, is that God changes the heart as we understand the Gospel.  It wasn't my intention to prove myself wrong, to show that truth does indeed penetrate my heart, but this is how blogs go when the wandering mind is allowed to drive the fingers.  So, if you have been gracious enough to me to read this far, I will give you the mercy of a conclusion.


My question was whether or not this truth would change my actions at work.  Indeed, I see that my sense of duty to a God who has done so much has already caused me to stay my tongue at work (now at a Walmart Pharmacy) when I am tempted to reply rudely to a rude coworker.  So maybe.  Maybe this revelation that my work and experiences are infused with holy purpose would drive me to act like my work at the bench has a purpose in heaven, which indeed it must, if Keller and Victor Frankl (Man's Search for Meaning) are correct.  Perhaps this result is what is meant by the Spirit giving life to our mortal bodies.  I think it is.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment